Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 8:00 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Also, I feel this is all out of scope for PG 13, frankly.  I think our
> only option is to revert the hash spill entirely, and return to PG 13
> behavior, if people are too worried about hash performance regression.

But the problem isn't really the hashaggs-that-spill patch itself.
Rather, the problem is the way that work_mem is supposed to behave in
general, and the impact that that has on hash aggregate now that it
has finally been brought into line with every other kind of executor
node. There just isn't much reason to think that we should give the
same amount of memory to a groupagg + sort as a hash aggregate. The
patch more or less broke an existing behavior that is itself
officially broken. That is, the problem that we're trying to fix here
is only a problem to the extent that the previous scheme isn't really
operating as intended (because grouping estimates are inherently very
hard). A revert doesn't seem like it helps anyone.

I accept that the idea of inventing hash_mem to fix this problem now
is unorthodox. In a certain sense it solves problems beyond the
problems that we're theoretically obligated to solve now. But any
"more conservative" approach that I can think of seems like a big
mess.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Сообщение: Re: Persist MVCC forever - retain history
Сообщение: Re: Persist MVCC forever - retain history