Re: Can't take base back up with Postgres 9.0 on Solaris 10

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Can't take base back up with Postgres 9.0 on Solaris 10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 28 October 2010 5:07:06 am dan.m.harris wrote:
> Hi Thom, thanks for your reply. Here's my psql output:
>
> bash-3.00$ bin/psql
> psql (9.0.1, server 8.1.4)
> WARNING: psql version 9.0, server version 8.1.
>          Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# SHOW wal_level;
> ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "wal_level"
> postgres=# SELECT pg_start_backup('basebackup', true);
> ERROR:  function pg_start_backup("unknown", boolean) does not exist
> HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need
> to add explicit type casts.
> postgres=# SELECT pg_start_backup('basebackup');
> ERROR:  WAL archiving is not active
> HINT:  archive_command must be defined before online backups can be made
> safely.
>

> The mismatched server version number doesn't look right! Note that this is
> a Postgres 9.0 tarball I've extracted onto a server which already has
> Postgres 8.1.4 installed.

Did you  use the source version of 9.0 and do configure/make to install it?  If
so you might want to take a look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/install-upgrading.html

Going from a major versions (8.1 to 9.0 in this case) requires some additional
steps. Besides the above problem you ran into, there will probably others even
if you follow the upgrade procedure. There have been a lot of changes from 8.1
to 9.0, not the least of which is the dropping of implied type casts in 8.3.
You probably want to spend some time with the Release Notes:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/release.html