Re: pg_ctl with unix domain socket?

От Josef Wolf
Тема Re: pg_ctl with unix domain socket?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 01:33:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> writes:
> >> pg_ctl -Ddb -o "-h '' -k `pwd`/db" -l postgreslog start
>
> > This works, but when I add the -w option, it waits all the 60 seconds.
>
> I don't believe pg_ctl is smart enough to dredge the -k option out of -o
> and figure out that it has to look there for the socket.
>
> In general I'd advise against using -k, as that will break nearly all
> clients not only pg_ctl.  If you need to put the socket in a nonstandard
> place, it's most convenient to wire the knowledge into libpq by changing
> DEFAULT_PGSOCKET_DIR at build time.  AFAIR that requires manually
> editing pg_config_manual.h.

Ugh, but how to configure it at runtime, then?

The goal I want to achieve is to get testing/development environments for
rails with postgres relative to the working copy of the checked out
directory.  Not having this relative prevents multiple working copies
to run tests in parallel because they all would use the same database.