Re: pg_ctl with unix domain socket?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pg_ctl with unix domain socket?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 01:33:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In general I'd advise against using -k, as that will break nearly all
>> clients not only pg_ctl.

> Ugh, but how to configure it at runtime, then?

You don't.  You could configure it at build time, perhaps, same as you
configure the installation prefix path --- but you're just creating
unnecessary pain for yourself.

> The goal I want to achieve is to get testing/development environments for
> rails with postgres relative to the working copy of the checked out
> directory.  Not having this relative prevents multiple working copies
> to run tests in parallel because they all would use the same database.

The standard way to run multiple installations in parallel is to run
them on different port numbers.  There is no reason to move the socket
directory.