Re: ALTER composite type does not work, but ALTER TABLE which ROWTYPE is used as a type - works fine

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: ALTER composite type does not work, but ALTER TABLE which ROWTYPE is used as a type - works fine
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure escribió:
> >>  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
> >> OK, so what should the TODO item be?
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Allow ALTER TYPE to add, rename, change the type of, and drop columns?
>
> That's probably the consensus view.  Personally, I think creating
> composite types through 'create type as' was a mistake...we probably
> should have gone through create table instead with some special syntax
> for storage-less tables aka composite types.

I disagree that CREATE TABLE should be (or should have been) used to
create types.  Someday we might need to expand the work we do for that
case in a different direction than tables, and we would be stuck.

Also, for tables we create files, we generate statistics, we compute
relfrozenxid, we call vacuum on, and so on and so forth.  We do none of
these things on types.

In fact, types are not in pg_class at all.

Сообщение: Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware
Сообщение: Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware