Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware

От ohp@pyrenet.fr
Тема Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware
Дата
Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:00:31 +0200
> From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>
> To: ohp@pyrenet.fr
> Cc: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM>,
>     pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cvs head initdb hangs on unixware
>
> ohp@pyrenet.fr wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Hmm.  It looks to me like the compiler is getting confused by the
>>> interaction between nodeno, leftnodeno, and rightnodeno.  Try this
>>> patch to see if it gets around it.  (This is a tad better anyway
>>> since it avoids examining the right child if not needed.)
>>>
>> Brillant!
>> You made my day, can't wait for this patch to be committed.
>
> I find it pretty scary to work around compiler bugs like this. Who knows what
> other code it miscompiles. Can you reduce fsm_search_avail into a small
> stand-alone test program, and file a bug report with the compiler vendor?
FWIW, the compiler doesn't miscompîle anything on postgresql, as an heavy
user/hoster, I'd know!

Let's not start a flame here, SCO compiler is as good or as bad as
anyother..

Never saw a problem with gcc, hp-ux, darwin or M$?

> BTW, why does this work on warthog buildfarm member? Different compiler
> version?

it's configured with --enable-debug.
Maybe run_build.pl should run twice, onece with --enable-debug once
without.

--
Olivier PRENANT                    Tel: +33-5-61-50-97-00 (Work)
15, Chemin des Monges                +33-5-61-50-97-01 (Fax)

От: "Pavel Stehule"
Сообщение: Re: WIP: default values for function parameters
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: ALTER composite type does not work, but ALTER TABLE which ROWTYPE is used as a type - works fine