Re: Commit fest queue

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Commit fest queue
Дата
Re: Commit fest queue  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:15:08 -0400
Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> wrote:

> >  * Where do I comment?
>
> In your mail program.

To where? Development discussion is supposed to happen on -hackers but
a patch is likely on -patches. Although we are allowed to discuss on
-patches as long as it is limited, but then we push the discussion back
to -hackers.

How do you propose to track that?

> >  * How do I track it in the future?
> >     * Do I go to the wiki page again?
>
> Well, only if you want to "pull" the last status (i.e. someone else,
> not you may have updated it, and you haven't set yourself to be
> notified on changes).  But again, since it's by email, you already
> have it all in your inbox, right?

Do I? What if I am only using USENET to interfact? What if I just
purged my mailbox because I get over 4500 messages a month from these
lists?

> >     * If I go to the wiki page again and click on the patch is it
> > going to take me right back to the archive page?
>
> Only if the wiki/tracker *hasn't* been updated.

How do I know?

> Uh, don't you read your e-mail already?  Any comment/discussions
> on the patch would have had you in the reply-to chain.  All nicely
> threaded in your mail reader or gmane, (or not-so nicely on
> archives.postgresql.org)

No it won't :). You are new here aren't you :P. It will be spread
amongst at a minimum of two lists.

> >  * After I submitted my comments where do I go?
> >    * Do I submit them to -patches?
> >    * Or hackers?
> >    * What about cross threads?
>
> Well, generally your comments go as a "reply" to the patch, which
> should (in theory) be already on -patches

Unless it gets into deeper discussion, then we are supposed to push it
to -hackers and why do I have two interfaces again?

One interface should be the goal.

> >  * Am I going to have to do that for every single patch I review?
>
> Well, you make it sound hard, but really, there is only "1"
> out-of-band action needed to happen to make this all work easily:

Aidan it isn't hard, it ridiculous and inefficient. We are continually
reinventing the wheel because we think we will somehow make it more
round when in actuality all the other mature FOSS projects out there
figured this out long ago.

> >  * Do I now respond to the hackers list?
>
> Well, that's part of the general problem of the
> archives.postgresql.org...

What? I would never expect to track between mailing lists.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake