Re: Where to find information on the new HOT tables?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Where to find information on the new HOT tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Tom Lane escribió:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
> > Le Tuesday 05 February 2008 21:28:31 Alvaro Herrera, vous avez �crit�:
> >> Perhaps there is a user-level document somewhere.
>
> > I don't think such a document already exists, even rtfm_please doesn't know
> > about any as of now.
>
> The reason there isn't one is it doesn't need one; it's an
> implementation detail not a user-visible feature.

One reason to think it needs to be explained is that it affects how you
plan for VACUUM.  In tables where HOT is in charge of a large part of
cleanup, you need to do a lot less vacuuming than you were for 8.2.  In
that sense it is very much user-visible.