Re: [GENERAL] Backup

От Hannes Dorbath
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Backup
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hannes Dorbath wrote:
> Chander Ganesan wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> That was my assumption as well. *Assuming* that the filesystem
>>> snapshot is
>>> consistent. There are a bunch of solutions that don't do consistent
>>> snapshots between different partitions, so if your WAL or one
>>> tablespace is
>>> on a different partition, you'll get corruption anyway... (seen this in
>>> Big Commercial Database, so that's not a pg problem)
>>>
>> Agreed.  That's why I made it a point to mention that all of your
>> tablespaces should be on the same file system...  In hindsight, I
>> should have also stated that your WAL logs should be on the same file
>> system as
>
> One more reason to consider using Solaris ZFS -- it does consistent
> snapshots across all file systems.

In general file system snapshots are quite a pain with Linux LVM.

Even when using separate spindles for the snapshot COW area the impact
on write performance on the origin LV is still huge. You'll have a hard
time to write with more than 15MB/sec to the origin LV.

Additionally when you lost your COW device there is this nice bug in
vgreduce --removemissing that will silently delete your origin LV as
well: http://readlist.com/lists/redhat.com/linux-lvm/0/2025.html

Not to mention that LVM does not support write barriers and does mess
with any kind of stripe alignment of your file system.

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath

Сообщение: Re: Where to find information on the new HOT tables?
Сообщение: Re: Where to find information on the new HOT tables?