Re: Putting restrictions on pg_dump?

От Benjamin Smith
Тема Re: Putting restrictions on pg_dump?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Good ideas, all. but, what about keeping things like check constraints,
foreign keys, etc?

Hmmm... maybe, if I dumped the entire DB schema, with no data, and then looped
thru the tables, creating a temp table (as you describe) with a funky name
(such as TABLEaBcDeFgH_U) and then pg_dumping that, and then using a regex to
rename the table in the output... (eg

    /TABLE\s+TABLEaBcDeFgH_U/TABLE customers/

Ugh. I was hoping there was a cleaner way...

-Ben

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:00:25 -0800, Benjamin Smith <lists@benjamindsmith.com>
wrote:
> > Is there a way to put a limit on pg_dump, so that it doesn't dump ALL
data,
> > but that matching a particular query?
> >
> > Something like:
> >
> > pg_dump -da --attribute-inserts -t "customers" \
> > --matching-query="select * from customers where id=11";
> >
> > I'd like to selectively dump information from a query, but using the
output
> > format from pg_dump so that it can be used to create a (partial) database.
> >
> > Can this sort of thing be done?
>
> Not directly with pg_dump.
>
> You could create a table (create table customers_1 as select * from
> customers where id=11) and dump that but remember to change the
> tablename in the dump file or after loading it. You dont get any
> pk/fk/indexes on the table definition.
>
> You could also use copy to stdout/stdin.
>
> eg dump
> psql -d dbname -c "create temp table dump as select * from customers
> where id=11; copy dump to stdout;" >dumpfile
>
> eg restore
> psql -d newdb -c "copy customers from stdin" <dumpfile
>
> You might need to play around with supplying username/password.
>
> klint.

> : Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
> : EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
> : Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
> : Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
> :           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
> : Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978