Re: Putting restrictions on pg_dump?

От Klint Gore
Тема Re: Putting restrictions on pg_dump?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 21:00:25 -0800, Benjamin Smith <lists@benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to put a limit on pg_dump, so that it doesn't dump ALL data,
> but that matching a particular query?
>
> Something like:
>
> pg_dump -da --attribute-inserts -t "customers" \
> --matching-query="select * from customers where id=11";
>
> I'd like to selectively dump information from a query, but using the output
> format from pg_dump so that it can be used to create a (partial) database.
>
> Can this sort of thing be done?

Not directly with pg_dump.

You could create a table (create table customers_1 as select * from
customers where id=11) and dump that but remember to change the
tablename in the dump file or after loading it. You dont get any
pk/fk/indexes on the table definition.

You could also use copy to stdout/stdin.

eg dump
psql -d dbname -c "create temp table dump as select * from customers
where id=11; copy dump to stdout;" >dumpfile

eg restore
psql -d newdb -c "copy customers from stdin" <dumpfile

You might need to play around with supplying username/password.

klint.

: Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
: EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
: Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
: Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
:           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
: Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :