front end application

От David Bear
Тема front end application
Дата
Re: front end application
Список pgsql-admin
I've been playing with postgresql for a while now. I'm curious how
others develop front ends for pg. I have looked at using pgaccess, and
ReKall. Both seem pretty good.

I've also been playing with MS Access
and using the pgodbc drivers. I am using kerberized ssh access to the
linux box running pg8. If I used the odbc driver then I need to tunnel
that to pg -- and then I have to put up with the typical windows user
not reading the simple instructions to click on an icon to log into a
system -- and then I have to worry about what kind of shell to give to
a user if they are only using pg.

On the other hand, if I develop in pgaccess or ReKall then I have them
shell into the linux box and actually make 'that' there shell -- but
then I have to tunnel X.

It doesn't seem like nirvana -- and it is not as 'seamless' as using
the product from Redmond that shall not be named.

So, I am very interested in what others are using to build a good ui
for a pg application. Any comments?

--
David Bear
phone:     480-965-8257