Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От David Fetter
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 07:00:27PM +0300, Andrus wrote:
> "Robert Treat" <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
> >> care much about your data :)
> >>
> >> My goal is to allow my application demo, trial and development
> >> versions to run in every Windows.  If customer is not able to run
> >> even demo, he will not add data to take care of. So running in
> >> Windows 98 is more important than taking a much care about data
> >> in this case.  So I must add both native and cygwin versions and
> >> cygwin intallation to my application setup and maintain cygwin
> >> and postgres-cygwin versions. A huge meaningless work.  Do you
> >> think that this is more reasonable than using Firebird ?
> >>

> > Just depends on how well your application code will work with
> > firebird, but I'd certainly cut you some slack that it's a good
> > reason to look around.  Since this sounds more like a single use
> > application database you might want to look at sqlite.  It's
> > install requires zero configuration and it's public domain
> > software so you don't have any licensing issues and afaik it runs
> > on win98 with no problems.
>
> I must support demo versions for 1 to 100 users in all Windowses
> using free software.
>
> So there are the following options :
>
> 1. Use Firebird
> 2. Use Postgres + cygwin all cases, even in XP
> 3. Use Postgres native for XP, Postgres+cygwin in Win 98
> 4. Use Postgres native for XP, Sqlite in in Win 98
>
> (4) is the most expensive (requires supporting 2 different dbmses)
>
> No ida, which is best from the remaining three.
>
> Andrus.

I don't know enough about Firebird to have any opinions about it.  I
think you're right to see about choosing just one DBMS for your
product.  If you plan to de-support Win 98 soon, you might want to
ship PG+Cygwin with it and accept that there will be extra maintenance
costs.  You could also use SQLite for everything until you port your
product to PostgreSQL and only offer it on platforms that allow you to
run PostgreSQL natively.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!