Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От Andrus
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?  (Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>)
Список pgsql-general
"Robert Treat" <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
news:200510071059.16093.xzilla@users.sourceforge.net...
> On Friday 07 October 2005 04:22, Andrus wrote:
>> > PostgreSQL does not run in Windows 98
>> > You can run PostgreSQL on Cygwin on Win98, I think.
>> > But ifyou're running your database server on win98, you obviously don't
>> care much about your data :)
>>
>> My goal is to allow my application demo, trial and development versions
>> run in every Windows.
>> If customer is not able to run even demo, he will not add data to take
>> care
>> of. So running in Windows 98 is more important than taking a much care
>> about data in this case.
>> So I must add both native and cygwin versions and cygwin intallation to
>> my
>> application setup and maintain cygwin and postgres-cygwin versions. A
>> huge
>> meaningless work.
>> Do you think that this is more reasonable than using Firebird ?
>>

> Just depends on how well your application code will work with firebird,
> but
> I'd certainly cut you some slack that it's a good reason to look around.
> Since this sounds more like a single use application database you might
> want
> to look at sqlite.  It's install requires zero configuration and it's
> public
> domain software so you don't have any licensing issues and afaik it runs
> on
> win98 with no problems.

I must support demo versions for 1 to 100 users in all Windowses using free
software.

So there are the following options :

1. Use Firebird
2. Use Postgres + cygwin all cases, even in XP
3. Use Postgres native for XP, Postgres+cygwin in Win 98
4. Use Postgres native for XP, Sqlite in in Win 98

(4) is the most expensive (requires supporting 2 different dbmses)

No ida, which is best from the remaining three.

Andrus.