Re: replication modules on postgres

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: replication modules on postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, chinni wrote:

> Is the core Postgres team thinking of providing such an API?
> Would they be inclined to do so in the future?
> Finally, in case they are not, would the postgres team be willing to
> help independent contributors (like me) to standardize such an API and
> accept the changes in the database if we wished to contribute?

There is no easy answer to this ... the problem is that right now there
are about a half dozen or so replication solutions out there, and out of
those, only one (that I'm aware of) requires any changes to the server
itself, the rest are layered solutions that run over top of the existing
binary ... as such, there is really nothing to provide an API *for*.  In
fact, the one that an API would have some benefit for is for PostgreSQL
v7.2, with work under way to bring it up to v7.4 ... so it is based on
technology that is >1 year old ...

As to the 'willing to help' ... I would suggest writing up a proposal
before you do all the work, as to the direction you want to take, and how
you invision implementing it .. get feedback at the technical, not coding,
level, before you start ...

One thing you might do is join the Postgres-R project, and work with them
on an API based on their model, that will plug into the latest -HEAD ...
that will at least give you a working model to work from, as to what
requirements there are for an API ... the only worry I'd have is a new one
coming along that needs to plug in at a different point in the server ...

----