replication modules on postgres

От chinni
Тема replication modules on postgres
Дата
Re: replication modules on postgres  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: replication modules on postgres  ("Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all!
Some time back I discussed the inclusion of replication (e.g.
postgres-R) into postgres.
One of the technical reasons that I understand against such a move is
the application dependence of replication. PostgresR requires a large
amount of code change in postgres.
All this leads to a bitter taste in the minds of my managers who want
to use postgres but can't   do without replication, and also they want
to only rely on the main dev path of postgres itself.

This problem only offers one technically feasible alternative(AFAIK).
If the postgres maintainers would provide a standard API for pluggable
replication modules, then it would be possible for the enterprises to
pick up reliable replication modules from the market and use.

This API obviously would have to be able to support the whole wide
variety of replication techniques, and hence requires a keen
understanding of all the issues involved.

Is the core Postgres team thinking of providing such an API?
Would they be inclined to do so in the future?
Finally, in case they are not, would the postgres team be willing to
help independent contributors (like me) to standardize such an API and
accept the changes in the database if we wished to contribute?

Please let me know of any thoughts on this.
thanks,
Naveen
--
"Stand for something, or you will fall for nothing."