Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I was thinking about CPAN.  They have download stuff, but it installs
> > very easily.  I wonder if we should allow gborg projects to interface to
> > our configure output in a way that makes it easier for them to be
> > installed.
>
> Now that idea I like. The R project also has something similar that
> allows a standard R command to download, compile, and install their
> equivalent to contrib packages. They even have an automated system of
> testing the contributed packages to ensure they work. If the package
> doesn't meet certain standards, it is automatically dropped from the
> link list on the download page. See:
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.pdf
> if you're interested. Very impressive, but also a huge amount of work to
> set up.
>
> > The gborg is easy for development and releasing, but loses in the
> > easy-of-use category sometimes.
>
> I agree.

I am thinking they could untar into a directory under pgsgl/ or have a
way to point to a 'configure'-run source tree and pull values from
there.

If you include pg_config.h, or use Makefile.global, you have almost
everything you need to compile your own, including flags, configure
checks, and the location of the installation directory.

Pennsylvania19073