Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions  (Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca>)
Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions  (Rod Taylor <pg@rbt.ca>)
Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions  (Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

> We have the current issue of people not knowing that projects like
> pgadmin exist or where to find the jdbc drivers.

Agreed ... but makign one big META package isn't going to fix that ... as
someone else suggested, put a README file in the contrib directory that
points ppl to projects.postgresql.org ...

> These basic components (and others a large segment uses that are well
> maintained) should go through a release cycle with the -core including
> the platform test/report phase and be prominently listed in the
> downloads area and documentation areas -- just as we do for PostgreSQL
> proper.

*ack* ... now the beta cycle just quadrupled in length ... so we develop
for 4 months, and beta for a year while we make sure everyone else's
packages work with the -core?

Most DBAs that I know will not upgrade based on a .0 release on a
production system ... they will wait for at least a .1 release ... between
.0 and .1 is when projects like PgAdmin should be doing their testing to
make sure that they are good for the new major release ...

> Goto http://postgresql.org, now track down the jdbc drivers or how to
> use them. To a significant portion of our users this is more important
> than CREATE FUNCTION is and in 7.5 jdbc documentation will be much more
> difficult to find, but no less important than it used to be.

Now, out of all of the PostgreSQL users, what % are using JDBC?  What %
are using ODBC?  What percentage of those using JDBC are also using ODBC?
What % of those using PgAdmin are also using ODBC?  For that matter, how
many ppl using JDBC only want to download the .jar file itself, and not
the source code?  % of Binary-Only PgAdmin users?  ODBC driver?

The point of projects.postgresql.org is that if someone *is* looking for
an addon, they should be pointed to projects.postgresql.org ... if you try
and merge everything into the -core distribution, you are either going to
miss something that *someone* wants to use at some point, *or* one helluva
large tar file to download ...

----

Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions