Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От Rod Taylor
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 22:43, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:
>
> > We have the current issue of people not knowing that projects like
> > pgadmin exist or where to find the jdbc drivers.
>
> Agreed ... but makign one big META package isn't going to fix that ... as
> someone else suggested, put a README file in the contrib directory that
> points ppl to projects.postgresql.org ...

Considering the number of people asking about cross database queries,
anything in contrib will also be ignored.

It has to be on the front page of www.postgresql.org if we want people
to find it.

> > These basic components (and others a large segment uses that are well
> > maintained) should go through a release cycle with the -core including
> > the platform test/report phase and be prominently listed in the
> > downloads area and documentation areas -- just as we do for PostgreSQL
> > proper.
>
> *ack* ... now the beta cycle just quadrupled in length ... so we develop
> for 4 months, and beta for a year while we make sure everyone else's
> packages work with the -core?

Come now. We all know of projects much much larger than PostgreSQL which
make more frequent releases.

This has nothing to do with timing, it has to do with organization. For
the most part the people working on the individual components of the
PostgreSQL Environment are different from those working on the core of
it. There is absolutely no reason we could not set a release date, stick
to it, and have all of the "important" projects ready for release at
that time.

> The point of projects.postgresql.org is that if someone *is* looking for
> an addon, they should be pointed to projects.postgresql.org ... if you try

I guess that is where we differ in opinion. pgadmin is not addon or an
enhancement, it is a part of the core project every bit as much as the
gnome-panel is a part of gnome. Sure, gnome-libs does all the heavy
lifting, but without the panel most users are lost.

Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions