Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I was thinking about CPAN.  They have download stuff, but it installs
> > very easily.  I wonder if we should allow gborg projects to interface to
> > our configure output in a way that makes it easier for them to be
> > installed.
>
> No, because again that requires you to download a large tar ball just to
> get the build environment?
>
> > The gborg is easy for development and releasing, but loses in the
> > easy-of-use category sometimes.
>
> So, what we *should* be looking at it some sort of howto on how to setup
> an autoconf environment ... the basics aren't too hard, its only when you
> get into the more complicated stuff that only *large* projects tend to get
> into that it gets particulary confusing ...

There are only a few PostgreSQL developers who can do it, so what are
the odds that a single guy who maintains a plugin is going to be able to
do it.  And you can say it is easy, but it just takes one complex
problem to hit you, and with PostgreSQL, and all the shared lib stuff
and dynamic loading, lots of it is complex.

Let's face it, unbundling is great for release efficiency, but terrible
for ease-of-use, and let me also tell you that that is where MySQL
shines and is perhaps taking new users from us.  No secret there.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions
Сообщение: Re: contrib vs. gborg/pgfoundry for replication solutions