Re: Postgresql 7.3 And Redhat Enterprise 3

От Chris Ruprecht
Тема Re: Postgresql 7.3 And Redhat Enterprise 3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Remi,

you have to make a symbolic link to the start-up directory for the run-level
you are starting up from.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d directory contains all avalable start/stop scripts,
regardless if they are used or not.

Your /etc/inittab file shows you, which default run-level you are starting up
in. If you have X11 installed, it probably is 5, otherwise it probably is 3.

Say you are starting up in run-level 5, then you have to:

cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
ln -s ../init.d/postgres S97postgres

You can change 97 to 98 or 99, depending on the sequence of stuff to start up
on your machine.

Best regards,
Chris

On Monday 02 February 2004 09:03, Remi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed redhat enterprise 3 on a system to use as a db server.
> Manually I can install and run postgresql 7.3 (the one on the extras
> CD). The problem is when you try to add postgres as a service, it
> might add it, but it will not start it. To do this, we got a
> postgresql script, placed it in the init.d folder with all the other
> service shell scripts, and then went into services, add service, and
> typed postgres. The specific error received is:
>
> env: /etc/init.d/postgres no directory or file found
>
> Is there some environment variable that needs to be set in some file
> somewhere. I read a lot of documentation online, and modified whatever
> files that people mentioned, but maybe I'm missing something?
>
> Just to clarify, the server pgsql components are installed. I've done
> several fresh installs with all kinds of options either selected or
> de-selected. For example, I've installed all client, and server
> components at one point.
>
> What baffles me as well is that on Redhat 9.0 it sets up postgres for
> you on an install, and automatically adds, and configures it under
> services so that it auto starts postgres on a server reboot.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 7.3 And Redhat Enterprise 3
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql 7.3 And Redhat Enterprise 3