Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> e.g. when I tried to use "recode", which does recognise iso-8859-15
> and 16, and convert to MULE, whatever I do, I obtain "EUR" for the
> euro sign, OE, oe, s, S, z, Z, "Y  for the different characters which
> are specific to 15 for example, and that's even worse for 16.

Apparently MULE currently does not support beyond ISO 8859-10 at all.

> Should we NOT allow conversion to Mule, or restrict the support, for
> example by pretending iso-8859-15 is iso-8859-1 (resp. 16 is 2) for
> conversion from/to mule (i.e. use the 0x81 and 0x82 octet for these
> encodings) and be done with it ?? (and MENTION it in the docs ;) ).

I think that we could negelect MULE encoding support for beyond ISO
8859-10, at least untill MULE "officially" support them.

> Anyway, I don't see somebody wanting support for the euro using Mule
> to store its strings... UTF-8 is much more important (and
> straightforward) to support in that case :)
>
> What do you think ?

Well, the conversion to/from UTF-8 for ISO 8859-10 or later is pretty
easy and should be supported, I think. Actually I already have
generated mapping tables for these charsets. I will make patches
against current and leave it for the core's decision, whether it
should be included in 7.2 or not.
--
Tatsuo Ishii