Re: Mule internal code ?

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: Mule internal code ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > ISO-8859-15 and 16! I don't know anything beyond ISO-8859-10. Can you
> > give me any pointer (URL) explaining what they are?
>
> http://www.evertype.com/sc2wg3.html
>
> It links to files describing iso-8859-14 to 16.
[snip]
Thanks for the info.

> Well, for the history iso-10646 was 32 bits from the beginning, and
> Unicode didn't say that it was only 16 bits, though, to be fair, the
> Unicode consortium said it didn't believe it would need more than 16
> bits.
>
> BTW, now, there is a statement that they wouldn't go above 0x10ffff,
> which gives a bit more than 1 million characters... I think it should
> be enough this time (but who knows !?).
>
> Regarding the *main* issue with Unicode, which is support of japanese
> kanji vs chinese (in the CJK unification), I must admit I don't know
> the details, but arguments of both sides seem to be valid. I must
> admit I would say "add the japanese version of the characters", since
> it's not lack of space which is the problem now. But things like this
> will get solved with time, and it really seems like Unicode will
> achieve the so much needed charset unity it's been made for :)

IMHO we should not rely on particular encodings/charsets, including
Unicode (or ISO 10646), MULE internal code or whatever. My plan for
supporting CREATE CHARCTER SET etc. stuffs would be truly *neutral* to
any encodings/charsets.

> > > Can someone point me to where I should look for that ? is it as
> > > easy as iso-8859-2/3/4 support, or do I need to do something as
> > > iso-8859-5 ?
> >
> > Docs for MULE internal code come with XEmacs. For example, see:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/docs/letter/internals-letter.pdf.gz
> >
> > http://www.lns.cornell.edu/public/COMP/info/xemacs/internals/internals_15.html#SEC83
>
> Unfortunately, these explain the principles behind mule, not the way
> to encode them from/to another character set :/

Please take look at "15.3.1 Internal String Encoding."
--
Tatsuo Ishii