Обсуждение: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

От
Patrice Hédé
Дата:
I've been looking a bit at the MULE encoding wrt to latin 9 and 10. It
seems that there is no support for the Euro at all in it.

e.g. when I tried to use "recode", which does recognise iso-8859-15
and 16, and convert to MULE, whatever I do, I obtain "EUR" for the
euro sign, OE, oe, s, S, z, Z, "Y  for the different characters which
are specific to 15 for example, and that's even worse for 16.

Should we NOT allow conversion to Mule, or restrict the support, for
example by pretending iso-8859-15 is iso-8859-1 (resp. 16 is 2) for
conversion from/to mule (i.e. use the 0x81 and 0x82 octet for these
encodings) and be done with it ?? (and MENTION it in the docs ;) ).

Anyway, I don't see somebody wanting support for the euro using Mule
to store its strings... UTF-8 is much more important (and
straightforward) to support in that case :)

What do you think ?

Patrice.

--
Patrice Hédé
email: patrice hede à islande org

Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> e.g. when I tried to use "recode", which does recognise iso-8859-15
> and 16, and convert to MULE, whatever I do, I obtain "EUR" for the
> euro sign, OE, oe, s, S, z, Z, "Y  for the different characters which
> are specific to 15 for example, and that's even worse for 16.

Apparently MULE currently does not support beyond ISO 8859-10 at all.

> Should we NOT allow conversion to Mule, or restrict the support, for
> example by pretending iso-8859-15 is iso-8859-1 (resp. 16 is 2) for
> conversion from/to mule (i.e. use the 0x81 and 0x82 octet for these
> encodings) and be done with it ?? (and MENTION it in the docs ;) ).

I think that we could negelect MULE encoding support for beyond ISO
8859-10, at least untill MULE "officially" support them.

> Anyway, I don't see somebody wanting support for the euro using Mule
> to store its strings... UTF-8 is much more important (and
> straightforward) to support in that case :)
>
> What do you think ?

Well, the conversion to/from UTF-8 for ISO 8859-10 or later is pretty
easy and should be supported, I think. Actually I already have
generated mapping tables for these charsets. I will make patches
against current and leave it for the core's decision, whether it
should be included in 7.2 or not.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

Дата:
> Well, the conversion to/from UTF-8 for ISO 8859-10 or later is pretty
> easy and should be supported, I think. Actually I already have
> generated mapping tables for these charsets. I will make patches
> against current and leave it for the core's decision, whether it
> should be included in 7.2 or not.

If you are comfortable with these patches then apply them.  You know
more about multibyte issues than any of the core committee...
        regards, tom lane

Re: iso-8859-15/16 to MULE

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> > Well, the conversion to/from UTF-8 for ISO 8859-10 or later is pretty
> > easy and should be supported, I think. Actually I already have
> > generated mapping tables for these charsets. I will make patches
> > against current and leave it for the core's decision, whether it
> > should be included in 7.2 or not.
>
> If you are comfortable with these patches then apply them.  You know
> more about multibyte issues than any of the core committee...

Ok. I have committed changes to support ISO-8859-6 to 16.

1) Followings are supported ISO-8859 series encoding names. Column 1  is the "official" name and column 2 is the
"alias"name.

  LATIN1    ISO-8859-1  LATIN2    ISO-8859-2  LATIN3    ISO-8859-3  LATIN4    ISO-8859-4  LATIN5    ISO-8859-9
ISO-8859-6 ISO-8859-7  ISO-8859-8  ISO-8859-10    LATIN6  ISO-8859-13    LATIN7  ISO-8859-14    LATIN8  ISO-8859-15
LATIN9 ISO-8859-16

  These encodings all support conversions to/from UNICODE(UTF-8).

2) LATIN5 no more means ISO-8859-5, instead ISO-8859-9. This may  impact the LATIN5 database backward compatibility.
Especiallyin  case of conversion between LATIN5 and UNICODE. If you have LATIN5  database and used UNICODE conversion
capability,PLEASE CHECK YOUR  DATABASE.

--
Tatsuo Ishii