Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"'Bruce Momjian'" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 12:30:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, if the intent of the note was to encourage people to raise
>> shared_buffers, it didn't do a very good job of that as written,
>> because I sure didn't understand it that way.

> Do you have any suggestions since it is not a code change that I can
> point to?  My guess is that the limitation was removed years ago, but we
> only found out recently.

TBH, I think that's another reason for not release-noting it.  There's
no concrete change to point to, and so it's hard to figure out what
to say.  I'm not even very sure that we should be encouraging people
to change existing shared_buffers settings; the experiments that
Takayuki-san did were only on Windows 10, so we don't really know that
changing that would be a good idea on older Windows versions.