Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes

От Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PG 10 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
> TBH, I think that's another reason for not release-noting it.  There's no
> concrete change to point to, and so it's hard to figure out what to say.
> I'm not even very sure that we should be encouraging people to change
> existing shared_buffers settings; the experiments that Takayuki-san did
> were only on Windows 10, so we don't really know that changing that would
> be a good idea on older Windows versions.

In fact, when I ran pgbench on Windows 2008 for some other unrelated reason, I found larger shared buffers (4GB, 8GB)
waseffective, too.

I didn't know pure documentation changes are not listed on the release notes.  But I suggest listing them (of course,
excludingmere typos), because the documentation is also important for users as well as programs.  The documentation is
alsopart of software product.  If the documented behavior and the actual one differs and the user is wondering which is
correct,he can know the answer only from the release note when the mismatch is fixed.  I think the documentation
changesare more useful for users than, for example, the following items:

E.1.3.11. Source Code
Improve behavior of pgindent (Piotr Stefaniak, Tom Lane)
Allow WaitLatchOrSocket() to wait for socket connection on Windows (Andres Freund)
Overhaul documentation build process (Alexander Lakhin)
Use XSLT to build the PostgreSQL documentation (Peter Eisentraut)

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa