Re: Experiences with extensibility

От Ow Mun Heng
Тема Re: Experiences with extensibility
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 23:05 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Sim Zacks wrote:

> > The reason companies go with the closed source, expensive solutions is
> > because they are better products.
>
> Sometimes, sometimes not. It depends on your needs.

This is total FUD. Everything has a place. And besides, as what I read, nobody ever gets fired
for recommending an expensive solution that comes with expensive support contracts and what not.
(wish I could google and insert the link to where I read that)

> > When evaluating a database for your company, it is better to look at
> > what the
> > closed source products offer that cause companies to shell out tons of
> > money and
> > decide if it is worth locking yourself into an expensive and/or
> > exclusive agreement.
>
> The only thing this post could possibly be is a Troll. Please go back
> under the bridge.

No, it's better to evaluate if the features which are being provided
will fit your needs. This is akin to buying a lamborghini only to drive
it down to the local 7-11, down the (same) road to buy some bread.

Take a walk instead, save my ears, save some petrol, save some money.

Otherwise, you end up paying X amount more for features you don't need.
(Me remembers vividly an episode of Simpsons where Homer was given free
rein to design the ultimate American Dream Car.)

Сообщение: Re: Experiences with extensibility
Сообщение: Re: Experiences with extensibility