Re: Experiences with extensibility

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Experiences with extensibility
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 23:05 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Sim Zacks wrote:
>
>>> The reason companies go with the closed source, expensive solutions is
>>> because they are better products.
>> Sometimes, sometimes not. It depends on your needs.
>
> This is total FUD. Everything has a place. And besides, as what I read, nobody ever gets fired
> for recommending an expensive solution that comes with expensive support contracts and what not.
> (wish I could google and insert the link to where I read that)

Exactly. It is amazing to me that companies are snookered into the idea
that per cpu pricing (or per client) for support contracts is a valid
method to determine actual costs to support the customer.

There are good closed source products but to suggest that just because
it is an expensive solution it is better is a little dumb.

>> The only thing this post could possibly be is a Troll. Please go back
>> under the bridge.
>
> No, it's better to evaluate if the features which are being provided
> will fit your needs. This is akin to buying a lamborghini only to drive
> it down to the local 7-11, down the (same) road to buy some bread.
>
> Take a walk instead, save my ears, save some petrol, save some money.

No kidding.

> Otherwise, you end up paying X amount more for features you don't need.
> (Me remembers vividly an episode of Simpsons where Homer was given free
> rein to design the ultimate American Dream Car.)

Heh...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Сообщение: Re: Experiences with extensibility
Сообщение: Re: Experiences with extensibility