Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От Shashank
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill  ("Chad Wagner" <chad.wagner@gmail.com>)
Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill  (brian stone <skye0507@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-general
> It seems MySQL just dropped the ball on
> the free version of their product, and it

Not sure what you mean. I can download their latest versions without
any trouble.

> Additionally, they feel that Oracle is such a threat that they have dumped
> BDB (I believe this move was after Oracle acquired Sleepycat) and now they
> announced they are dumping InnoDB (again after Oracle acquired it).

Where is this announcement? They don't need to drop either engine, as
both are GPL. MySQL as a group was never too hot with BDB. As for
InnoDB, if Oracle acts up, the GPL allows MySQL or any of its community
members to fork out a separate version. SolidDB and Falcon are just
storage engines, which is quite a smart architecture for MySQL to
follow. There's an interesting discussion about ReiserFS vs MySQL
(directions of filesystems versus databases) if you google for it. I
think the more storage engines that come as default in a database, the
more useful it will be to different audiences. Meanwhile, it is unclear
what the goofs at Oracle have in mind for their two acquisitions.

Lest I sound like a MySQL devotee here are some recent stats-
http://spyced.blogspot.com/2006/12/benchmark-postgresql-beats-stuffing.html
  :)

Shanx