Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От brian stone
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I think any comparison between mysql and postgresql is faulty.  I have used mysql for a very long time.  As my skills matured and I was entrusted with larger projects, I could no longer make an intelligent case to use mysql over postgresql.  I needed more from my database.

Most arguments in favor of mysql, are based off ones lack of experience and knowledge about postgresql; lazy coder too comfortable with what they know.  Who wants to hear that something better is available after they have invested years into a mysql based project?  Who wants to migrate (big pain in the a**)?

Anyone making an argument that mysql is better in any area, looses my respect as an engineer.  They simply have not done their homework.  If the project requires maintaining an existing mysql database(s), this is a legitimate argument.  However, if this is the case one should say so instead of disguising their requirements in some silly debate about mysql being better.

"better" is quite a loose term, BTW, and its meaning changes with a DBA's skill level.

my 2 pennies

skye

Shashank <shashank.tripathi@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems MySQL just dropped the ball on
> the free version of their product, and it

Not sure what you mean. I can download their latest versions without
any trouble.

> Additionally, they feel that Oracle is such a threat that they have dumped
> BDB (I believe this move was after Oracle acquired Sleepycat) and now they
> announced they are dumping InnoDB (again after Oracle acquired it).

Where is this announcement? They don't need to drop either engine, as
both are GPL. MySQL as a group was never too hot with BDB. As for
InnoDB, if Oracle acts up, the GPL allows MySQL or any of its community
members to fork out a separate version. SolidDB and Falcon are just
storage engines, which is quite a smart architecture for MySQL to
follow. There's an interesting discussion about ReiserFS vs MySQL
(directions of filesystems versus databases) if you google for it. I
think the more storage engines that come as default in a database, the
more useful it will be to different audiences. Meanwhile, it is unclear
what the goofs at Oracle have in mind for their two acquisitions.

Lest I sound like a MySQL devotee here are some recent stats-
http://spyced.blogspot.com/2006/12/benchmark-postgresql-beats-stuffing.html
:)

Shanx

TV dinner still cooling?