Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От Michael Nolan
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Список pgsql-general
John, you may not like it but we are in a competitive marketing environment with MySQL (even if both products are open source), and also with Oracle, SQL*Server, etc.

The MySQL folks will take every chance they get to point out instances where PostgreSQL performance is inferior to MySQL (and that's not unreasonable for them to do that), what's wrong with us pointing out their weaknesses as well?  How many different threads have we had here or on -advocacy asking for real-world benchmarks between database products?  I can think of several just in the last few months.

I know that as a result of this test when I rewrite this particular web app later this year I will be asking my ISP to make PostgreSQL 8.2 available, because this particular app requires a more robust database search engine than MySQL currently has.
--
Mike Nolan