Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От John Meyer
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill  ("Chad Wagner" <chad.wagner@gmail.com>)
Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill  ("Michael Nolan" <htfoot@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
What I think bothers me is this whole concept that if PostgreSQL is to
flourish, MySQL has to be beaten down.  Folks, both products are free,
both can be used in the same shop (maybe not on the same computer if
your running them in production).  Putting down MySQL will not make
PostgreSQL any better, or vice versa.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Michael Nolan" <htfoot@gmail.com> writes:
>> select count(*) from memmast where memid in (select plr_rated_memid from
>> tnmt_plr where plr_eventid in ('200607163681');
>
>> This query takes about a second on PostgreSQL but takes OVER SEVEN MINUTES
>> on MySQL!
>
> Yeah, and we probably would have sucked about as badly before 7.4 or so.
> There's a long way from "having subselects" to being able to optimize
> them decently.  AFAIK mysql is still at the "we've got subselects!"
> stage ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Сообщение: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Сообщение: Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill