Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill

От Chad Wagner
Тема Re: More grist for the PostgreSQL vs MySQL mill
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/20/07, John Meyer <john.l.meyer@gmail.com> wrote:
What I think bothers me is this whole concept that if PostgreSQL is to
flourish, MySQL has to be beaten down.  Folks, both products are free,
both can be used in the same shop (maybe not on the same computer if
your running them in production).  Putting down MySQL will not make
PostgreSQL any better, or vice versa.

One thing to point out here is that MySQL's business strategy seems to be changing, and I believe the "community edition" is starting to fall apart (or struggling to gain momentum).  It seems MySQL just dropped the ball on the free version of their product, and it is taking time for people to run with it.  Their attention is fully on the "enterprise edition" packages.  Take a look at the 5.0 GA releases, you can't even download binary releases of 5.0.33.  You have to build from source, it kind of indicates the lack of effort that MySQL is putting forward to the community, and sending a signal "buy our enterprise edition".

Additionally, they feel that Oracle is such a threat that they have dumped BDB (I believe this move was after Oracle acquired Sleepycat) and now they announced they are dumping InnoDB (again after Oracle acquired it).  Now they are off building their own engine to compete against InnoDB.

I know right now they are promoting SolidDB, but that won't last long ("Falcon" is their new storage engine).  And frankly, SolidDB+MySQL just doesn't work right.  I gave it a shot and there was tons of problems, hardly production worthy.  There also seems to be an increase of chatter about people coming to PostgreSQL because of the actions that MySQL has taken.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/

Сообщение: Re: Using transactions with plpythonu
Сообщение: Re: Using transactions with plpythonu