Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

Hello there,

I'm a freelance Oracle Developer by trade (can almost hear the boos now
;o)), and am looking into developing my own Snowboarding-related
website over the next few years. Anyway, I'm making some decisions now
about the site architecture, and the database I'm going to need is
obviously included. If my site works out, I'm expecting reasonably
heavy traffic, so want a database that I'm confident can cope with it.

It is out of the question for me to use Oracle, although I am a
(biased) 'fan' of that RDBMS. I definitely need to go for a cheaper
route, and to that end I'm looking at either MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Regarding MySQL, I've been put off by Oracle's recent purchase of
InnoDB and realise this could badly impact the latest version of the
MySQL database. I can almost hear Larry Ellison's laughter from here
(allegedly)! I've also been put off by the heavy marketing propaganda
on the MySQL website.

Recently, I've been taking a look at PostgreSQL, and am very impressed
by what I've read, although I've not yet investigated the database
first-hand. To cut to the chase, I would be interested in anybody's
feedback on the advantages that PostgreSQL has over MySQL.

Also, I've recently read the "Inside MySQL 5.0" (marketing propaganda)
document, and it makes the following claim:

"With MySQL, customers across all industries are finding they can
easily handle nearly every type of database workload, with performance
and scalability outpacing every other open source rival. As Los Alamos
lab (who uses MySQL to manage their terabyte data warehouse) said, "We
chose MySQL over PostgreSQL primarily because it scales better and has
embedded replication.".".

If any PostgreSQL devotees on this group can comment on the above and
its accuracy/inaccuracy, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

James