Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

От Jeffrey Melloy
Тема Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jimbo1 wrote:

>Hello there,
>
>I'm a freelance Oracle Developer by trade (can almost hear the boos now
>;o)), and am looking into developing my own Snowboarding-related
>website over the next few years. Anyway, I'm making some decisions now
>about the site architecture, and the database I'm going to need is
>obviously included. If my site works out, I'm expecting reasonably
>heavy traffic, so want a database that I'm confident can cope with it.
>
>It is out of the question for me to use Oracle, although I am a
>(biased) 'fan' of that RDBMS. I definitely need to go for a cheaper
>route, and to that end I'm looking at either MySQL or PostgreSQL.
>
>Regarding MySQL, I've been put off by Oracle's recent purchase of
>InnoDB and realise this could badly impact the latest version of the
>MySQL database. I can almost hear Larry Ellison's laughter from here
>(allegedly)! I've also been put off by the heavy marketing propaganda
>on the MySQL website.

I use Oracle at work and PostgreSQL for personal projects, and I think you'll find that PostgreSQL is the more
feature-complete(or "Oracle-like") database.  There are definitely situations Oracle comes out ahead, but for a website
Idoubt you'll find them.  Also, the syntax between the two is more closer to the standard (PostgreSQL is actually
betterin this) than MySQL.  Postgres has Pl/PgSQL, which is close enough PlSQL to not cause any problems.

Jeff