Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

От Tony Caduto
Тема Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0
Дата
Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Jimbo1 wrote:

> "With MySQL, customers across all industries are finding they can
> easily handle nearly every type of database workload, with performance
> and scalability outpacing every other open source rival. As Los Alamos
> lab (who uses MySQL to manage their terabyte data warehouse) said, "We
> chose MySQL over PostgreSQL primarily because it scales better and has
> embedded replication.".".
>
> If any PostgreSQL devotees on this group can comment on the above and
> its accuracy/inaccuracy, I'd really appreciate it.

That's exactly what it is "propoganda", I can think of two really high
profile Postgresql installs that have recently been discussed:

1. The Wisconsin Court System, search the archives for a recent post
about this.
2. The entire .org and .info domains are stored in a Postgresql database.

I am sure there are many more.

Postgresql is also much more flexible than Mysql, for example with Mysql
you are restricted to using one proc langauge, while with PG you can
choose from many that might fit your needs or solve a specific problem.
Using PLperl for example you can easily write functions that send
emails, connect to socket servers etc etc.

Mysql also does not seem to have system tables that are accessible to
the developer, you have to use their information schema or the odd SHOW
syntax which is not flexible at all.

Tony Caduto
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

От: Marek Lewczuk
Сообщение: Re: java_reset - how it works
От: "Andrus"
Сообщение: Re: How to release locks