Re: copy data between database

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: copy data between database
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 21:34, Qingqing Zhou wrote:
> <autogoor@yahoo.com> wrote
> > Hi, I have a table A in both database d1 and d2. I would like to copy
> > data in A in d1 to A in d2. How can I do it? I do not want to copy all
> > data, just some part of A,
> >

> Here is a way if you feel want to try. The basic idea is that create a table
> (say OS file name of this table is xxx) for the part of data of A that you
> are interested in d1, and create another table of the same structure in d2
> but empty with OS file name yyy. Then normally shutdown database, replace
> yyy with xxx. Restart database again, you will get the data in d2. Notice
> that you must make sure that two database d1 and d2 are initialized with the
> same parameters.

Under no circumstances should you do this with a database that has any
data in it that you value.  pg_dump / pg_restore / psql are the
preferred way of doing this.

Note that for what is being done here, slony would be a great fit as
well, and now that it's available as an rpm, it should be pretty easy to
setup and use.