Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> On 9/20/10 10:59 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>> Backwards-compatibility? ;-) There hasn't been any pressing reason to
>>> remove it.

> Mind you, it wouldn't take a *big* reason to persuade me to remove it.
> But bigger than that.

Actually, I can think of a fairly sizable reason not to remove it:
pg_dump issues "SET default_with_oids" commands in its scripts, and
has done for lo these many years.  So you'd be breaking backwards
compatibility with even-quite-recent dumps.

It'd be possible to work around that; for example, if you don't use
--single-transaction to restore the dump then you could just ignore
the errors.  But it still is not something to just lightly break.