Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Any reason why the default_with_oids GUC is still there?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2010-09-21 at 18:31 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Also, doesn't some SQL standard require oids, so we should have a way
> to enable them by default for all tables?

From some DB2 example:

CREATE TYPE BusinessUnit_t AS   (Name VARCHAR(20),    Headcount INT);

CREATE TABLE BusinessUnit OF BusinessUnit_t   (REF IS oid USER GENERATED);

The DB2 documentation consistently refers to this column as "oid", but
there is no requirement to name it that way.

The SQL standard also contains this sentence:
   Let OID be the name of the self-referencing column of S.

which refers to the thing defined in the example above, but "OID" is
just a placeholder here.

I think there was a mention of OIDs in the "SQL3" draft that eventually
became SQL99, but that's long past now.  Current standards don't have
it, except in the, perhaps more generalized, form above.