Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited

От Elvis Pranskevichus
Тема Re: Multi-branch committing in git, revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On September 21, 2010 11:47:30 pm Tom Lane wrote:
> > However, keep in mind that creating a branch in every existing backpatch
> > branch is going to create even more backpatching monkey-work.
>
> Monkey-work is scriptable though.  It'll all be worth it if git
> cherry-pick is even marginally smarter about back-merging the actual
> patches.  In principle it could be less easily confused than plain
> old patch, but I was a bit discouraged by the upthread comment that
> it's just a shorthand for "git diff | patch" :-(
>
>             regards, tom lane

cherry-pick is NOT just a shorthand for git diff | patch.  It is a single-
commit merge tool.  man page does not indicate that, but you can supply the
merge strategy parameter, just like you would do with git merge, but AFAIR
it's not necessary and cherry-pick will fallback to the default recursive
merge when needed.
                             Elvis