Re: installation of postgres 10.6

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: installation of postgres 10.6
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Pavan Kumar wrote:
> I am very new to postgres database technology and trying to learn Postgres administration  now.
>
> I have couple of questions on installation.
>
> I am trying to install postgres from source code and following below document
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/install-getsource.html
>
> here are my question.
>
> 1. Which user i need to install postgres (root) or do  i need to create a separate user for postgres?

You configure and build PostgreSQL as a normal user, not "root".

Only fir the final step (make install) you will need "root" permissions,
if you install the software in /usr or /opt or somewhere else where
only root can write.

You will need another user (traditionally called "postgres") to own
the database files and processes, but that comes after building and
installation.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe