Re: pg_ctl won't start postgres, but postmaster will?!

От Steve Santacroce
Тема Re: pg_ctl won't start postgres, but postmaster will?!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> >     chmod 600 ${logfile}
> >     chown pgsql:pgsql ${logfile}
> >     [ -x ${PGBIN}/pg_ctl ] && {
> >         su -l pgsql -c \
> >             "[ -d \${PGDATA} ] && exec ${PREFIX}/bin/pg_ctl
start -s -w -l
> > ${logfile}"
> >         echo -n ' pgsql'
> >
> > No errors, no messages, nothing. Then I tried to start pg_ctl by hand. I
> > su'd to pgsql, and typed:
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /pgdata -l /var/log/pgsql
>
> This command is invalid.  You need to add "start" somewhere.

Sorry, forgot to write that. It was in the line. The wierd thing is that I
can type:
/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /pgdata -l /var/log/pgsql start

and it will start, but if I use:

su -l pgsql -c exec "/usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /pgdata -l /var/log/pgsql
start"

it doesn't work! And I'm still confused as to why the script doesn't work.

> The message "postmaster started successfully" comes from pg_ctl.  That
> would mean pg_ctl is still running by the time you type this.
>
> Please check that what you are writing here corresponds exactly to what
> you are typing on the console.

Sorry about that. I should have just copied and pasted. Thanks for pointing
out my error!

От: Chris Miles
Сообщение: postgresql and replication
От: Chris Miles
Сообщение: Re: Automated backup problems - pg_dump