Re: pg_ctl won't start postgres, but postmaster will?!

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: pg_ctl won't start postgres, but postmaster will?!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Steve Santacroce writes:

>     chmod 600 ${logfile}
>     chown pgsql:pgsql ${logfile}
>     [ -x ${PGBIN}/pg_ctl ] && {
>         su -l pgsql -c \
>             "[ -d \${PGDATA} ] && exec ${PREFIX}/bin/pg_ctl start -s -w -l
> ${logfile}"
>         echo -n ' pgsql'
>
> No errors, no messages, nothing. Then I tried to start pg_ctl by hand. I
> su'd to pgsql, and typed:
>
> /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl -D /pgdata -l /var/log/pgsql

This command is invalid.  You need to add "start" somewhere.

> and nothing, postmaster still doesn't start! If I type:
>
> su -l pgsql -c exec "/usr/local/bin/postmaster -D /pgdata"
>
> I get a "postmaster started successfully" reply, BUT postmaster STILL isn't
> running.

The message "postmaster started successfully" comes from pg_ctl.  That
would mean pg_ctl is still running by the time you type this.

Please check that what you are writing here corresponds exactly to what
you are typing on the console.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net