Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL book completed though chapter 10

От Andrew C.R. Martin
Тема Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL book completed though chapter 10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have completed the first draft of my book through chapter 10.

Bruce, it's looking very nice!

Just browsing the TOC though, a couple of things struck me as odd/missing and
if I were reviewing the book when finished I'd query these!

First the pitch of the book seems a bit mixed. There is a lot of
introductionary material on how to create a table, joins etc. inthe early
chapters, but the book also covers quite advanced topics like user-defined
functions. The reader is either going to skip the early chapters, or get lost
in the later ones. If you really do want to cover such a broad spectrum, what
about splitting the book into Part I - Introducing RDBMS and Part II - Using
PostgreSQL (or something similar)

Information on primary/foreign key constraints only appeared under the
'Joining Tables' chapter - I don't know how complete this chapter is, but the
terms were defined with no suggestions about creating tables using these terms
or using other constraints.

I could see nothing about the object-relational features in terms of creating
tables, etc.

I would really like to see a PostgreSQL SQL reference as well - this I guess
would be taken largely from the man pages.

In summary, I like the style and the contents as far as it goes, but I think
there are some important things missing (judging from the TOC) and personally I
feel the organisation is a little odd.

Hope you feel these comments have been useful.

Best wishes,

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew C.R. Martin          EMail:  a.c.r.martin@reading.ac.uk  (work)