Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL book completed though chapter 10

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [ANNOUNCE] PostgreSQL book completed though chapter 10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have completed the first draft of my book through chapter 10.
> >

> Bruce, it's looking very nice!
>
> Just browsing the TOC though, a couple of things struck me as odd/missing and
> if I were reviewing the book when finished I'd query these!
>
> First the pitch of the book seems a bit mixed. There is a lot of
> introductionary material on how to create a table, joins etc. inthe early
> chapters, but the book also covers quite advanced topics like user-defined
> functions. The reader is either going to skip the early chapters, or get lost

I am only going to cover the concept of them, not show how to do them.

> in the later ones. If you really do want to cover such a broad spectrum, what
> about splitting the book into Part I - Introducing RDBMS and Part II - Using
> PostgreSQL (or something similar)
>
> Information on primary/foreign key constraints only appeared under the

Well, I am working on the Performance/index section, which is still
pretty basic.  I don't plan to get really into those advanced topics.

> 'Joining Tables' chapter - I don't know how complete this chapter is, but the
> terms were defined with no suggestions about creating tables using these terms
> or using other constraints.

I am going to do that after 7.0 is released.  Contraints will be added
too.

> I could see nothing about the object-relational features in terms of creating
> tables, etc.

Well, I have inheritance mentioned.

> I would really like to see a PostgreSQL SQL reference as well - this I guess
> would be taken largely from the man pages.

Yes, man pages will be at the end of the book.