Обсуждение: Implement a column store for pg?

Implement a column store for pg?

От
jacktby jacktby
Дата:
I’m trying to implement a new column store for pg, is there a good example to reference?

Re: Implement a column store for pg?

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 15 Sep 2023, at 14:31, jacktby jacktby <jacktby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m trying to implement a new column store for pg, is there a good example to reference?

There are open-source forks of postgres that have column-stores, like Greenplum
for example.  Be sure to check the license and existence of any patents on any
code before studying it though.  The most recent attempt to make a column-store
for PostgreSQL was, IIRC, zedstore.  The zedstore thread might give some
insights:

https://postgr.es/m/CALfoeiuF-m5jg51mJUPm5GN8u396o5sA2AF5N97vTRAEDYac7w@mail.gmail.com

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: Implement a column store for pg?

От
jacktby jacktby
Дата:
> 2023年9月15日 20:31,jacktby jacktby <jacktby@gmail.com> 写道:
>
> I’m trying to implement a new column store for pg, is there a good example to reference?
That’s too complex, I just need to know the interface about design a column store. In fact, I just need a simple
example,and I will implement it by myself, what I’m confusing is that, I don’t know how to implement a MVCC, because
oldversion is tuple, this will make a big difference to the transaction?

Re: Implement a column store for pg?

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 10:21 AM jacktby jacktby <jacktby@gmail.com> wrote:
> I’m trying to implement a new column store for pg, is there a good example to reference?
That’s too complex, I just need to know the interface about design a column store. In fact, I just need a simple example, and I will implement it by myself, what I’m confusing is that, I don’t know how to implement a MVCC, because old version is tuple, this will make a big difference to the transaction?

If you're looking for the simplest version of a columnar implementation for Postgres, I'd check out Citus' original cstore implemented via FDW. It hasn't been updated in years, but it's still one of the faster simple columnar implementations out there https://github.com/citusdata/cstore_fdw

--
Jonah H. Harris