Обсуждение: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
zaphod61

I've inherited a postgresql 12.3 installation. It has 1 database in it.  I need to upgrade it to the newest version, which appears to be 12.11. Can I just download the installer for 12
11 and run that to upgrade the product and still maintain access to the existing connections?

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
I've inherited a postgresql 12.3 installation. It has 1 database in it.  I need to upgrade it to the newest version, which appears to be 12.11. Can I just download the installer for 12
11 and run that to upgrade the product and still maintain access to the existing connections?

David J.

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
Christophe Pettus

> On Aug 3, 2022, at 10:16, zaphod61 <zaphod61@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I've inherited a postgresql 12.3 installation. It has 1 database in it.  I need to upgrade it to the newest version,
whichappears to be 12.11. Can I just download the installer for 12
> 11 and run that to upgrade the product and still maintain access to the existing connections?

Any upgrade will require a server restart.  If it's a minor version upgrade, you just need to replace the binaries, but
*always*read the upgrade notes for post-upgrade housekeeping.

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/3/22 10:16 AM, zaphod61 wrote:

> I've inherited a postgresql 12.3 installation. It has 1 database in it.
> I need to upgrade it to the newest version, which appears to be 12.11.
> Can I just download the installer for 12
> 11 and run that to upgrade the product and still maintain access to the
> existing connections?

What OS are you using?

How was the Postgres 12.3 instance installed?

What installer are you referring to?

12.3 -> 12.11 is a minor upgrade so you can do the update without a
dump/restore or using pg_upgrade. That being said, at some point in the
process the existing instance(12.3) will need to be stopped and then the
new install for the 12.11 done and then start it. That means there will
  be point where the connections will be lost.  How big an issue would
that be?

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
zaphod61
Дата:
The server version is 2016. The installer is the one listed on the postgresql support page.  I think version 12.3 was installed the same way but that was before I came into contact with this application

> I've inherited a postgresql 12.3 installation. It has 1 database in it.
> I need to upgrade it to the newest version, which appears to be 12.11.
> Can I just download the installer for 12
> 11 and run that to upgrade the product and still maintain access to the
> existing connections?

What OS are you using?

How was the Postgres 12.3 instance installed?

What installer are you referring to?

12.3 -> 12.11 is a minor upgrade so you can do the update without a
dump/restore or using pg_upgrade. That being said, at some point in the
process the existing instance(12.3) will need to be stopped and then the
new install for the 12.11 done and then start it. That means there will
  be point where the connections will be lost.  How big an issue would
that be?

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/3/22 11:44 AM, zaphod61 wrote:
> The server version is 2016. The installer is the one listed on the
> postgresql support page.  I think version 12.3 was installed the same
> way but that was before I came into contact with this application

You need to make sure, mixing installation methods can cause a mess.

Also how much downtime can you tolerate?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 8/3/22 11:44, zaphod61 wrote:
> The server version is 2016. The installer is the one listed on the
> postgresql support page.  I think version 12.3 was installed the same
> way but that was before I came into contact with this application

Would be helpful to do:

select version();

to get some clue  of where the install originated from.

I add this because it occurred to me that maybe it was not installed
with this:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/

https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

Instead it may be one of EDB's not free versions of Postgres. Mixing
that up would be a mess.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrading from 12.3 to 12.11

От
zaphod61
Дата:
I am pretty sure it was a free version of the install, however, I will check the version tomorrow when I am back in the office.

Thanks!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com