Обсуждение: add missing errdetail for xlogreader allocation failure error

add missing errdetail for xlogreader allocation failure error

От
Bharath Rupireddy
Дата:
Hi,

It seems like some of the XLogReaderAllocate failure check errors are
not having errdetail "Failed while allocating a WAL reading
processor." but just the errmsg "out of memory". The "out of memory"
message without the errdetail is too generic and let's add it for
consistency and readability of the message in the server logs.

Here's a tiny patch. Thoughts?

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.

Вложения

Re: add missing errdetail for xlogreader allocation failure error

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 19 Nov 2021, at 04:59, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like some of the XLogReaderAllocate failure check errors are
> not having errdetail "Failed while allocating a WAL reading
> processor." but just the errmsg "out of memory". The "out of memory"
> message without the errdetail is too generic and let's add it for
> consistency and readability of the message in the server logs.
>
> Here's a tiny patch. Thoughts?

No objections.  There are quite a few more "out of memory" errors without
errdetail but that doesn't mean we can't move the needle with these.

Re: add missing errdetail for xlogreader allocation failure error

От
Julien Rouhaud
Дата:
Le lun. 22 nov. 2021 à 19:58, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> a écrit :
> On 19 Nov 2021, at 04:59, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like some of the XLogReaderAllocate failure check errors are
> not having errdetail "Failed while allocating a WAL reading
> processor." but just the errmsg "out of memory". The "out of memory"
> message without the errdetail is too generic and let's add it for
> consistency and readability of the message in the server logs.
>
> Here's a tiny patch. Thoughts?

No objections.  There are quite a few more "out of memory" errors without
errdetail but that doesn't mean we can't move the needle with these.

+1, it's often annoying to find out which code path actually raised that error so this would be quite handy.

Re: add missing errdetail for xlogreader allocation failure error

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2021-Nov-19, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> It seems like some of the XLogReaderAllocate failure check errors are
> not having errdetail "Failed while allocating a WAL reading
> processor." but just the errmsg "out of memory". The "out of memory"
> message without the errdetail is too generic and let's add it for
> consistency and readability of the message in the server logs.
>
> Here's a tiny patch. Thoughts?

You're right -- and since in a few other callers of XLogReaderAllocate
we do include the exact errdetail you propose, your patch looks good to
me.

While looking I noticed a few other places that could be improved similarly.  I
crammed it all in a single commit, and pushed.

Thank you,

--
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/