Обсуждение: How to restore to empty database

How to restore to empty database

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

I want to restore to new empty database using pg_restore .
pg_restore should create new empty database and restore into it.
If database exists, pg_restore should clean all data from it or drop and
create new empty database before restore.

According to pg_restore doc, switches --clean --create --if-exists  should
do this.

I tried

    PG_COLOR=auto
    PGHOST=localhost
    PGPASSWORD=mypass
    PGUSER=postgres
    export PGHOST  PGPASSWORD PG_COLOR PGUSER
    pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --dbname=mydb  --jobs=4 --verbose
"mydb.backup"

but got error

pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
pg_restore: error: connection to database "mydb" failed: FATAL:  database
"mydb" does not exist

I also tried without --dbname=mydb but then got error

pg_restore: error: one of -d/--dbname and -f/--file must be specified

How to restore to database which does not exist to drop existing database
before restore if it exists ?
Should I invoke

drop database if exists

and

create database

commands before calling pg_restore or can pg_restore do it itself ?

Using Postgres 12 on Debian 10

Andrus.

Re: How to restore to empty database

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 1/30/20 2:23 PM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I want to restore to new empty database using pg_restore .
> pg_restore should create new empty database and restore into it.
> If database exists, pg_restore should clean all data from it or drop and
> create new empty database before restore.
>
> According to pg_restore doc, switches --clean --create --if-exists
> should do this.
>
> I tried
>
>     PG_COLOR=auto
>     PGHOST=localhost
>     PGPASSWORD=mypass
>     PGUSER=postgres
>     export PGHOST  PGPASSWORD PG_COLOR PGUSER
>     pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --dbname=mydb  --jobs=4
> --verbose "mydb.backup"
>
> but got error
>
> pg_restore: connecting to database for restore
> pg_restore: error: connection to database "mydb" failed: FATAL:
> database "mydb" does not exist
>
> I also tried without --dbname=mydb but then got error
>
> pg_restore: error: one of -d/--dbname and -f/--file must be specified

You need to connect to a database that exists with --dbname, for
instance --dbname=postgres. Postgres will then use that connection to
create the new database, in your case mydb.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to restore to empty database

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

>You need to connect to a database that exists with --dbname, for
>instance --dbname=postgres. Postgres will then use that connection to
>create the new database, in your case mydb.

Thank you, this seems work.

There are total 24 databases, .backup files total size in 37GB , aprox 60 %
from this from bytea columns ( pdf documents, images).
Using VPS server, 4 cores, 11 GB RAM, used only for postgres.
Which is the fastest way to restore data from all of them to empty
databases. Should I run all commands in sequence like

pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --verbose --dbname=postgres  --jobs=4
"database1.backup"
pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --verbose --dbname=postgres  --jobs=4
"database2.backup"
pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --verbose --dbname=postgres  --jobs=4
"database24.backup"

or run them all parallel without --jobs=4 like

pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --verbose --dbname=postgres
"database1.backup" &
pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --verbose --dbname=postgres
"database2.backup" &
pg_restore --clean --create --if-exists --verbose --dbname=postgres  --jobs=4
"database24.backup" &

or some balance between those ?
Is there some postgres or Debian setting which can used during restore time
to speed up restore ?
I use shared_buffers=1GB , other settings from debian installation.

Andrus.

Re: How to restore to empty database

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 1/30/20 3:08 PM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> You need to connect to a database that exists with --dbname, for
>> instance --dbname=postgres. Postgres will then use that connection to
>> create the new database, in your case mydb.
>
> Thank you, this seems work.
>
> There are total 24 databases, .backup files total size in 37GB , aprox 60 %
> from this from bytea columns ( pdf documents, images).
> Using VPS server, 4 cores, 11 GB RAM, used only for postgres.
> Which is the fastest way to restore data from all of them to empty
> databases. Should I run all commands in sequence like

These days 37 GB is relatively small, so you maybe getting into the
realm of premature optimization. Do the 24 databases represent an entire
cluster you are trying to transfer? If so have you looked at pg_dumpall?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-pg-dumpall.html

It is a text based backup, but it will include all the databases and the
globals.

Otherwise I think you are going to find that the below will not make
much difference given the overall size of the backup files.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: How to restore to empty database

От
"Andrus"
Дата:
Hi!

>These days 37 GB is relatively small, so you maybe getting into the realm
>of premature optimization. Do the 24 databases represent an entire cluster
>you are trying to transfer?

Basically yes.
Cluster contains also  small test database which actually does not need
transferred but I can delete it manually after transfer.
Also postgres, template0 and template1 are not used directly by applications
and probably does not need to be transferred.

>If so have you looked at pg_dumpall?:
>https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-pg-dumpall.html
>It is a text based backup, but it will include all the databases and the
>globals.

Source cluster is in old Debian 6 Squeeze running Postgres 9.1
Should I create pipe using pg_dumpall and restore everything from old using
pipe instead of pg_dump/pg_restore ?

Andrus.

Re: How to restore to empty database

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 1/30/20 10:21 PM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> These days 37 GB is relatively small, so you maybe getting into the
>> realm of premature optimization. Do the 24 databases represent an
>> entire cluster you are trying to transfer?
>
> Basically yes.
> Cluster contains also  small test database which actually does not need
> transferred but I can delete it manually after transfer.
> Also postgres, template0 and template1 are not used directly by
> applications and probably does not need to be transferred.

They are created with a new cluster anyway. That being said you may want
to recreate them if you have installed objects in them. For that see the
--clean option to pg_dumpall. If you do use that make sure and fully
read the Notes and Examples here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-pg-dumpall.html

>> If so have you looked at pg_dumpall?:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-pg-dumpall.html
>> It is a text based backup, but it will include all the databases and
>> the globals.
>
> Source cluster is in old Debian 6 Squeeze running Postgres 9.1
> Should I create pipe using pg_dumpall and restore everything from old
> using pipe instead of pg_dump/pg_restore ?

That would depend on how stable and fast the connection is between the
two machines.

What sort of time frame are you working with?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com