Re: How to restore to empty database

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: How to restore to empty database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/30/20 10:21 PM, Andrus wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> These days 37 GB is relatively small, so you maybe getting into the
>> realm of premature optimization. Do the 24 databases represent an
>> entire cluster you are trying to transfer?
>
> Basically yes.
> Cluster contains also  small test database which actually does not need
> transferred but I can delete it manually after transfer.
> Also postgres, template0 and template1 are not used directly by
> applications and probably does not need to be transferred.

They are created with a new cluster anyway. That being said you may want
to recreate them if you have installed objects in them. For that see the
--clean option to pg_dumpall. If you do use that make sure and fully
read the Notes and Examples here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-pg-dumpall.html

>> If so have you looked at pg_dumpall?:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-pg-dumpall.html
>> It is a text based backup, but it will include all the databases and
>> the globals.
>
> Source cluster is in old Debian 6 Squeeze running Postgres 9.1
> Should I create pipe using pg_dumpall and restore everything from old
> using pipe instead of pg_dump/pg_restore ?

That would depend on how stable and fast the connection is between the
two machines.

What sort of time frame are you working with?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com